5 Things You Can Do To Be More Productive
A lot of people start off the new year with a bang and the adrenaline rush that comes with the fresh motivation that we all get at the start of every year. As time goes on, it becomes hard to keep up with the many resolutions that they may have set for your business, because there simply isn’t enough time to do it all within 24 hours! This is a struggle a lot of small business owners face, and in this article, you will learn key productivity tips that will set you on the path to achieving your business goals in 2018.
- Take sleep seriously- You can’t drive on an empty tank. So you need to refuel your body with lots of rest. We live in a culture that glorifies nonstop work, and it’s common to hear things like ‘I’ll rest when I’m dead’. This sort of attitude is simply not good for productivity. When your brain does not get the rest it needs, it becomes difficult for you to focus on tasks and accomplish them in good time. If you don’t take care of your mind and body, it becomes impossible for you to reach peak performance. Sleeping for 7-9 hours will allow you to be as productive as possible when you are awake. Pick a bedtime and wake up time, and try to stick to them so you can create a healthy sleep routine.
- Try not to check your emails first– Emails are an important means of business communication. A lot of people tend to check their emails immediately they wake up and get sucked into a black hole of replying emails for hours at a stretch. Checking your emails first thing in the morning makes you lose control of your day. Productivity experts recommend that you check emails only after you’ve accomplished a task. Start off the day by completing something on your to-do list before checking your inbox. This way you don’t get sucked into the email vortex right at the start of your day.
- Create a morning routine- Having a healthy morning routine sets the tone for your day. If you usually wake up after snoozing your alarm 10 times, then run around trying to get ready, it may leave you frazzled for the rest of the day. Creating a healthy routine stabilizes you and eases you into a day that flows smoothly. Layout a morning routine that works for you and includes things such as meditating, exercising, planning the day and eating breakfast.
- Write things down- Writing your thoughts and ideas helps you to be more organized and productive. Get a notebook or planner where you dump all your ideas and to do lists. This helps you engage with the part of your brain that actually processes the information, and helps you focus more on the task. It’s also great to write things down because it means that you never forget anything. Richard Branson, the famous mega-entrepreneur, says that one of his best possessions is a standard-sized school notebook. “Anyone who aspires to lead a company must develop a habit of taking notes. I carry a notebook everywhere I go.”
- Start using the five-minute rule- Being productive involves maximizing your time fully. If you want to get the best out of every day in 2018, then the five-minute rule is something you should adopt in your daily life. This rule states that any action that can be carried out in five minutes or less is completed right away. This rule allows you finish minor tasks before they pile up. It also helps to combat procrastination by making you get started on the things that you’re supposed to be doing. Ticking this small tasks off your to-do list will reduce the items on the list and also give you a huge sense of fulfillment and accomplishment.
- Block time for important things– Always make sure that you schedule what’s most important to you and block out time for yourself and your goals.
- Make the most out of every meeting– Meetings take a lot of time and very rarely do they add value. Be intentional about the meetings you agree to or set. Decline at least 10 percent of the meeting invitations you receive. Ask yourself: “Is this meeting really necessary? Make sure you avoid back to back meetings because they can leave you feeling really stressed. Set objectives for every meeting your organize and attend, and never leave any meeting without agreeing on next steps and roles.
While It might be hard to implement all the above at the same time, even doing just one of these tips will boost your productivity. 2018 just started, so there’s still time to kick off your new year’s resolution.