A strong logo sends a message that inspires confidence. First impressions are golden, and for a business, the first way to make that is usually through branding. It leads people who have had zero interaction with your business to believe that you deliver an amazing product/service. Your logo is an integral part of your branding, and in this article, we discuss why logos are so important, and tips for creating an awesome logo.
Why a good logo is essential to the success of your brand
A strong logo helps you prove your quality to potential customers at first glance. If your logo looks sloppy it may imply that your company does sloppy work, and consumers may decide to choose a competitor instead. Here are some of the reasons a great logo is important to your business success.
- It helps you attract new customers– The ultimate goal of any business is to attract customers and sell a product/service to them. Your customers see hundreds of logos a day. The ‘look and feel’ of your business may be one of their criteria for making a purchasing decision. By sending the right message to potential customers, your logo helps them choose you over the competition.
- A clever logo delivers your business promise– What are your promising potential customers in return for their money? At first glance, a good logo communicates this promise and persuades people to patronise you.
- It sets you apart from competitors– A clever, attractive and brand-specific logo can do wonders in setting you above your competitors. If you make a great logo, you can enjoy its solid rewards for the rest of your company’s life.
- It helps people remember you– There are a thousand and one brands out there with awesome logos, offering different services and competing for the attention of your customers.Sometimes it’s difficult to remember words or names, but the image of your logo can easily enter into people’s minds when they need you.
- It inspires trust- A logo shows that you are committed to both your business and your clients. You may not have been in business for a long time, but if you invest in your identity, you are more likely to remain firm and relevant in the eyes of your customers. It goes a long way toward building trust.
Tips to help you build a strong logo
- Make a bold statement– Don’t be generic. Make sure the logo is clear and easy to understand because you don’t have years of brand recognition that ensures that people will associate your logo with your product/service immediately. It costs a lot of money to help consumers understand a generic logo. Your logo should convey, what you do, who you are and leave a positive impression.
- Pick a font that reflects your brand– Typography is really important. If you think it’s not, google Disney’s logo and see the feelings that the special font inspires. Your logo is built on two primary elements: the typographic elements and the graphic/iconic element. Together, these form the basic structure for most logo designs. The typography used in your logo design is a critical choice that communicates much about your brand. Is it a fun brand, fresh or futuristic? Your typography should blend in with the other elements of the logo in other to have a great impression on the audience.
- Choose colours carefully– Colours make your logo come alive. Try to think outside the box when choosing your brand colours. Make sure you look at your competitors’ logos and then choose a colour scheme that’s unlikely to be confused with theirs.
- Consider the future– How your logo is going to be used should determine the type of logo that you create. Again, avoid using a logo that requires a lot of explanation. If your business relies on outdoor media e.g billboards, focus on creating a memorable logo that links the viewer to the message quickly. A simple test is to cover the text and view the logo on its own. Does it convey the nature of the business? It’s vital to think about the big picture. How is your logo going to look in different formats, and different marketing channels? Consider your future advertising projects before choosing your final logo.
- Hire a pro- The success of your business depends on your branding. This isn’t something you should take chances with. Most businesses look for the cheapest option because they don’t understand how branding affects their chances of success. The most important part of any branding exercise is an open dialogue between the brand strategist and client. Atlas excels at this and will communicate with you properly, every step of the way to understand your vision for the brand.